Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Dauntless 320 Ready for War


"A MAN MAY DIE YET STILL ENDURE IF HIS WORK ENTERS THE GREATER WORK. TIME IS CARRIED
UPON A CURRENT INCEPTED BY FORGOTTEN DEEDS. EVENTS OF GREAT MOMENT ARE BUT THE
CULMINATION OF A SINGLE CAREFULLY PLACED THOUGHT. AS ALL MEN MUST
THANK PROGENITORS OBSCURED BY THE PAST, SO WE MUST ENDURE THE
PRESENT THAT THOSE WHO COME AFTER MAY CONTINUE GREATER WORK."
-THE CHIME OF EONS - GARBA MOJARO PREFECTUS OF ADEPTUS MECHANICUS

HIGH RES PHOTOS TODAY!!!!
MORE AFTER THE JUMP!!!

I read that quote, which is the script hanging between the Paladin's legs, when I was taking the pictures of the model today. It was hard to make out but really compliments my personification of this model and the idea behind why he is included into my Astra Militarum Army.  



Sir Eli Cascadon is the three hundred and twentieth pilot to be placed within "Dauntless" a Knight Paladin Titan with a long, brutal, yet honorific history.  The two were once part of a small Knight household which had been diminished over the millennium until, the Third War for Armageddon brought them to their current household numbers.  One. One lone Titan remains now.  This lone Paladin is now crusading alongside the 327th Armageddon "Ghazghkull Hunters" in effort to visit vengeance upon the foe who took their brothers from them.  Casting aside the colors of their former house and dawning a coat which more closely resembles those regiments and units which took part in the fighting, they seeks to pay homage to those brave warriors whom fought beside them on the numerous battlefields of Armageddon.  This new color scheme also closely resembles their new "brothers in arms" the 327th and its approach of adapting to the environments in which they fight in.  No longer are gallant and boisterous color schemes needed nor the pomp and pageantry seen on many a Knight Titan.  All that is needed now the representation of Death, Destruction, and Revenge. Sacrifice is calling and this Knight has willingly accepted, he only need utter a final death song to the Orks he so desperately seeks. The alien will soon know the name, Dauntless 320.

Every once and a while I'll get a model that I really struggle to finish.  Dauntless 320 is one of those models.  He has gone through quite a few phases over the past couple of weeks (some of which you can go find on my previous post) but has finally come to be what you see here.  I  had a hard time figuring out color placement on the armor.  I knew that there would be no gold, brass, or copper in this model, instead substituting for dull silver metallics and matte blacks, grays, and earthy tones.  I wanted this model to blend well with my Imperial Guard representing the idea that maybe in some way he has bonded with them on the battlefield.


 Note: all of the transfers were painted over and highlighted. I feel that this gives a much more organic feel to the model in the sense that it looks more natural to the model, not like a transfer but instead like an actual adept or servitor painted the markings on.

Notice the lines through, over, and under the 320?  Kinda trippy.

 Note the kill counts on the Reaper Chainsword and later on the cannon.


 A little detail work on the terrain and

 Notice the array of sensors, lights, and cables.

 It's hard to tell but the smoke stacks/pipes have been given a wash of blue to resemble them having the effect when metal is super heated over time. Also Im really pleased with the trim armor and the dulled grayish black I achieved. I feel this was a much better result than if would have line highlighted and edged the model.



The hanging tabard holds the quote from the first of this post.  Also I've repainted the Serpent being clenched by the fist.  You can see it in earlier post as its original color of yellow.  I think the red goes better with the model.

The word "Death" is emblazoned on the chest piece.

I wanted to show that Sir Cascadon, the Knight Pilot, has fully accepted his as well as his Titan's fate.  The scythes on his cockpit hatch represent this "acceptance of death" well I think.

Some of the basing work.  Notice the Ork gyphs and discarded weapons, piles of skulls, and the Blood Angel helmet in the back of the base.  If I'm reading into the fluff correctly I have a feeling Ghaazghkull's new approach into the Octarius Sector will bring him into contact with the Sons of Sanguinius.


Finally, I've magnetized his face plate so he can adorn it for battle when he so chooses.  Also I really dig his pose in this pic.  Makes him look like hes in motion bringing his cannon to bear down on the enemy.

As always, comments are welcome and asked for.  Please follow my blog if you've found anything to your liking.  I appreciate you taking the time peruse it.

Native,

Out

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm speechless. It's such a great work! And I think that your idea about Knight's fate, is well presented, for me it looks like a warrior who only think: "No matter if I die, the only that matters are how many bastards I will take with me!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome paintjob, simply love the muted colors.

    ReplyDelete